Sunday, June 22, 2008

Cellular Nutrition

I have promoted a concept in my medical practice for years that I call cellular nutrition. What I learned early on in my research and in nutritional medicine practice was that almost all of these studies evaluated only one nutrient at a time. For example, the study evaluated only vitamin C or vitamin E or selenium or calcium or alpha lipoic acid. This is just the way we do research. However, vitamin E and vitamin C are not drugs. They are nutrients from foods; however, today because of supplementation we are able to get them at levels unobtainable in foods. All of these nutrients work together in a synergistic way.

Vitamin E is the best antioxidant in the cell wall. Vitamin C is the best antioxidant in the plasma. Glutathione is the best intracellular antioxidant. All of these antioxidants need the so-called antioxidant minerals and B-cofactors to do their job. I not only want my patients to receive all the health benefits that these nutrients can provide, but I also want to be sure that these nutrients to the cell are provided at optimal levels. Therefore, cellular nutrition is defined as providing all of these nutrients to the cell at optimal levels or to those levels which provide a health benefit according to medical literature.

Source: Dr. Strand Health Nuggets (newsletter@Bionutrition.org)